Attentive, Dedicated, Personalized Service

Making Changes To Court Orders

Sometimes life changes unexpectedly, and a shift in your circumstances may affect your ability to meet existing obligations for child support, spousal support or child custody. In this situation, it may be appropriate to ask the court in your area to grant a modification to your divorce decree to ensure the terms are fair and sustainable.

I am attorney Sam Veenstra, and I help individuals in League City, throughout Galveston County and across the surrounding area of Texas pursue family law modifications after a job change, relocation, remarriage or other significant change in circumstances.

Common Modifications To Divorce Decrees

In order to modify any of these agreements, you must file a motion with the court to reopen the case and make the desired modification. As your lawyer, I can help guide you through this process and present your case for modification in the most compelling way possible. I have successfully helped clients modify:

  • Child support — It is important to provide for your child after a divorce, and child support arrangements should be as fair as possible. Seeking a child support modification can help you and your former spouse reach an agreement that is reasonable for everyone.
  • Spousal Maintenance — If your financial situation (or that of your spouse) has changed significantly, you may be able to seek a change in your spousal maintenance obligations. I also represent people trying to avoid changes to fair, existing spousal maintenance agreements.
  • Child custody and visitation — If a move or a change in your job makes it difficult to maintain your existing child custody arrangement, it may be possible to modify it in a way that preserves your time with your child but offers the flexibility you need. I have also assisted parents who are seeking a change of custody based on the other parent’s ability or inability to provide care to the child.

Remember that your divorce decree was created based on a snapshot in time. As time goes on, modifications to agreements made at the time of divorce are often necessary and warranted.

Contact The Veenstra Law Firm P.L.L.C.

To arrange a free 30-minute consultation about your family law matter, please contact me online or call my office at 832-779-8529.